San Diego Airport Achieves Highest Score by Airport Carbon Accreditation Program
The airport achieved this certification by way of a collection of applications which have elevated using carbon-free electrical energy and all-electric autos, facilitated carbon-emission reductions by airline and rideshare companions, and enabled carbon-offset purchases by our passengers, amongst different efforts.
Airport Carbon Accreditation is the one institutionally endorsed, world carbon administration certification program for airports. It supplies a standard framework for lively carbon administration with measurable goalposts after which independently assesses and acknowledges the efforts of airports to handle and scale back carbon emissions by way of six ranges of certification. Airport Carbon Accreditation can also be the one world, airport-specific carbon commonplace that depends on internationally acknowledged methodologies.
SAN is one in all solely three North American airports to realize Stage 4+ ‘Transition’ certification and the one airport in California to achieve the milestone. To realize Stage 4+, SAN has demonstrated that it continues to scale back carbon emissions underneath its direct management (i.e. emissions from constructing power use and fleet autos), is on a trajectory to fulfill worldwide Web Zero emission targets by way of implementation of its carbon administration plan, has offset its remaining direct carbon emissions, and has successfully partnered with tenants liable for Scope 3 emissions on the airport.
“Since reaching Stage 3+ ‘Carbon Neutrality’ in 2018, our crew has been working with our airline companions, floor transportation suppliers, and passengers to scale back their emissions which is a key element of reaching Stage 4+ accreditation,” mentioned Kimberly Becker, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority President and CEO. “It’s by way of collaboration that this objective was met and I want to acknowledge the laborious work of the Airport Authority crew and the aviation companions which can be committing to new methods of lowering emissions.”
A few of the notable initiatives and initiatives SAN has efficiently carried out that contributed to reaching Stage 4+ embrace:
- The Airport Authority was one of many first organizations to enroll in San Diego Group Energy’s “Power100 Champions” program and now receives one hundred pc renewable and carbon-free grid-delivered electrical energy to your entire SAN airport campus.
- Transportation Community Firms (Uber, Lyft, and so on.) conducting ridesharing providers at SAN should meet a median fleetwide Greenhouse Gasoline Score equal to the gas effectivity of at the very least 52 miles per gallon by 2025.
- In 2015, the Airport Authority developed and launched The Good Traveler, a carbon offsetting program designed to encourage sustainable journey by enabling people to offset the environmental affect of their journey in an reasonably priced, straightforward, and significant manner.
- By means of its stormwater seize and reuse system at Terminal 2 Parking Plaza, SAN has captured, handled, and reused greater than 4 million gallons because the system was commissioned in 2018. In 2020, the Northside Stormwater Seize Cistern was accomplished and is designed to reuse roughly 16 million gallons yearly with plans to make use of the captured water to clean vehicles on the Rental Automotive Middle.
- The Airport Authority has developed one of many largest zero-emission shuttle fleets within the area, with a complete of 33 all-electric buses. These cleaner and quieter buses transport passengers between terminals, staff to distant parking heaps, and transit riders between the Previous City Transit Middle and the airport.
- SAN has partnered with airports, airways, sustainable aviation gas (SAF) producers, and different stakeholders to advocate for insurance policies that may enhance using low-carbon SAF to scale back greenhouse gasoline emissions within the aviation sector.
- The Airport Authority is working with our aviation companions to transform floor assist gear (GSE) to make use of lower-carbon different fuels. Airways are anticipated to transition roughly 80 p.c of their GSE to electrical and renewable diesel by 2024.
To study different environmental objectives and initiatives being completed on the airport in addition to how the Airport Authority is main efforts in environmental, social, and financial stewardship, please go to maintain.san.org which is the Airport Authority’s Sustainability Report.